Earn money while you spend with Cash back credit cards. Why not get rewarded while using a credit card to make purchases? Cash back credit cards in Canada offer anywhere between 1% to 5% money back for every dollar spent using your cash back card. Some cash back cards may charge an annual fee or in some cases a high-interest rate. Compare and apply for the best cash back credit card in Canada.
Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite
TD Cash Back Visa Infinite Card
Best no annual fee cash back credit card
Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card
Specification: Tangerine Cash Back Credit Card
Cash Back Credit Cards
Cash back credit cards allow you to earn back some of the money you spend when making purchases of goods and services. You could receive the rebate amount by way of credit each month in the credit card statement. Or, the company might send you a cheque in the mail after a fixed period like a year or preset milestone you attain. However, since you earn this rebate on the purchases you make, you’ll need to take care not to spend too much. If you go over the limit, you could end up paying a high amount of interest that could even out the cash benefit you receive.
Credit card issuers may reward subscribers with money credited to their account when they use the credit cards for making purchases. Each company has different systems by which they offer rewards:
- Particular dollar amount
- Percentage of every purchase you make
- One-time rebate on signing up
- On expenditure of a fixed amount within a specific time frame
- Promotional cash back schemes for existing customers for spending at a particular retailer or store like for instance, $30 for purchases in ABC Grocery Store.
How does a CashBack Credit Card work?
When shopping for cash back credit cards, you might want to check the terms and conditions offered by each card issuer by reading the Product Disclosure Statement before making your choice. Remember, refunded purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances may not be included in the cashback scheme.
Here are the different methods by which companies offer cash back rewards.
- You earn cash back each time you make a qualifying purchase on the card. For instance, if your card provider offers 3% cash back deal and you make purchases on $1,000, you’ll receive a rebate of $30.
- The card provider offers the cashback scheme to new customers on signing up. If you apply before a certain date and purchase items worth a particular amount before a due date, you receive cash back.
- The card provider allows you to redeem reward points on flights and purchases for cash that is deposited into your account.
Your credit card company allows you a rebate on certain purchases and this amount works out as a percentage of your purchase. This percentage varies according to the specific items you buy. For example, the Scotiabank Momentum VISA Infinite gives you:
- 4% cash back on gas refills and groceries
- 1% to 2% cash back on all other items
Here are some other factors to keep in mind:
- The credit card company charges you an annual fee for the cash back facility. Before buying it, make sure you intend to use the card often so you can cover the fee with the cash
- The cash back facility rebate does not cover interest charges, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- If you typically pay cash to buy gas and groceries, using your credit card could be a money-saving option.
Is there an annual fee for a cash back credit card?
Do I need to pay my credit card balance monthly?
Why Compare Cashback credit cards in Canada?
It’s always wise to choose your cash back credit card considering the type of items you plan to purchase. There are different types of cash back credit cards and many of them focus on certain types of items, such as groceries and gas, or even a specific category of products. You can also use them for paying your monthly bills.
Compare cash back credit cards according to your type of spending, and choose the card that fits your lifestyle.
The best advantage of the cash back credit card is the cash rewards you can earn on every purchase. Most credit card issuers may allow you from 1% to 4%. However, there are various negatives you need to watch out for:
- You can get back some of the money you spend on the purchases. Every single dollar is welcome.
- Credit card companies may offer you additional complimentary packages on cash back credit cards such as concierge services, rewards programs, and travel insurance, among others. These add-ons may raise the value of the card.
- Cash back credit cards typically carry high annual fees. It is advisable to opt for such cards only if you make large purchases and earn back a substantial amount of cash. This cash should be enough to cover the annual fees with some added cash left over.
- Some credit card issuing companies may allow you to use the offer only a limited number of times within a fixed period. Or, they may allow you to use it only once. Also, check for the total number of times you can use the cashback scheme.
- When making purchases, you must make sure you can pay back the credit card bill before the due date on the statement. If you cannot pay the bill, you could incur high rates of interest that may make you end up paying more than the cash you earned.