The Scotiabank American Express Card does not have annual fees for extras or privileges. It works as both a standalone or as a secondary card for current Scotia Rewards collectors. You receive one Scotia Rewards point for each dollar you spend on the card, valid for travel (hotels, flights, car rentals, cruises, and vacation packages), gift cards, merchandise (including Best Buy and Apple catalogues), or as a credit towards your monthly payment. The insurance coverage is robust for a no-fee card. You get travel accident and travel interruption insurance (if you use your card to pay for at least 75 percent of the cost of your trip). You also get travel emergency medical (with a coverage ceiling of $1 million for a maximum of eight successive days of travel), and collision/loss damage for car rentals (up to forty-eight consecutive days of coverage for vehicles that cost less than $65,000).
Here we review some of the benefits of the Scotiabank American Express Card to help you decide if it is the right card for you:
- The Scotiabank American Express Card comes with no annual fee for the first year. You will reap the full benefits of your travel rewards for a whole year.
- American Express Members can enjoy exclusive offers. These include film screenings, theatre shows and restaurant table booking to name a few. Cardholders receive notifications of special offers and experiences as they become available. Scotia Rewards also comes with privileges when travelling such as special discounts.
- Customers can earn 5,000 Scotia Rewards bonus points with their first $500 of day to day purchases. This applies to the first three months. Every $1 spent earns the customer 1 Scotia Rewards point.
- Cardholders can redeem Scotia Rewards points without restrictions. Travel agents in the Scotia Rewards Travel Service can help customers book trips anywhere with no restrictions. They even offer the best price guarantee. If a cardholder finds a cheaper comparable deal elsewhere within 24 hours, the company will pay the price difference.
- Customers with a Scotiabank American Express Card are covered against loss, theft or damage thanks to an automatic 90-day purchase protection plan. Manufacturers’ warranties are also doubled by up to one extra year with an automatic extended warranty. Cardholders are even given a $100 reimbursement if an item is reduced in price up to 60 days after purchase. Travellers are also protected with a range of insurance, such as for accidents, medical emergencies, hire car damage and trip disruptions. The cardholder’s spouse and dependents are also included in these protections, giving you greater peace of mind when travelling as a family.
The Scotiabank American Express Card does not have annual fees for extras or privileges. It works as both a standalone or as a secondary card for current Scotia Rewards collectors. You receive one Scotia Rewards point for each dollar you spend on the card, valid for travel (hotels, flights, car rentals, cruises, and vacation packages), gift cards, merchandise (including Best Buy and Apple catalogues), or as a credit towards your monthly payment.
Drawbacks of a Scotiabank American Express Card
Although the Scotiabank American Express Card has many benefits, there are some other things to consider:
- Annual interest rate charges for purchases, balance transfers and cash advances are comparable to industry-standard rates. So for anyone considering transferring a balance, there may be better deals available elsewhere.
Is the Scotiabank American Express Card for you?
If you want a card that offers easy-to-redeem points on travel, and that saves you money on purchase protections and insurance, this card will appeal to you. It is flexible and rewarding, both in how you earn and how you choose to spend your points.