Last Updated on May 9, 2021 by Borche Stefanov
The Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite card has a relatively low earn rate with 2 points per dollar spent on grocery purchases, dining and entertainment purchases, and daily transit expenses. All other purchases will earn you one point per dollar. These points can be redeemed for travel, merchandise, gift cards, and can be used as statement credits to pay off some of your card balance. There is an annual fee for this card at the price of $139, so while not the most expensive fee of comparable cards, it is pricier than the $120 annual fee that is average for the industry.
Every 100 Scotia points is redeemed for $1 when used for travel. A nice perk of this card is that the redeem ratio doesn’t change no matter which portal you use to book your flights; some banks require you to use their portal to get the best deal. When it comes to interest rates, this card is nothing special. The interest rate that will be charged on regular purchases will be 19.99%, extremely comparable to most other cards of this nature. The cash advance interest rate is not too much higher at 22.99%.
Specification: Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Details Summary
- Interest Rate: 19.99%
- Interest Rate Promo: N/A
- Balance Transfer Rate: N/A
- Balance Transfer Rate Promo: N/A
- Cash Advance Rate: 22.99%
- Cash Advance Rate Promo: N/A
- Annual Fee: $139
- Card Best Suited For: International travelers, millennials
- Reward Type: Scotia Rewards points
- Signup/Welcome Bonus Offers: Maximum of 40,000 points
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card is Best Suited For
Due to the incredible travel related perks and bonuses of this credit card, frequent international travelers will be the demographic best suited to this Scotia card. One of the greatest things about this card is that you will not be charged a foreign currency conversion mark up for international purchase. This means that whatever you spend in foreign currency is the exact price you pay in total; you won’t be charged extra to convert the purchase into Canadian dollars. On top of that savings, you will also receive discounts on car rentals, and you’ll have up to 6 visits to airport lounges each year. This card also comes along with some of the best travel insurance in Canada.
Millennials will also benefit greatly from the use of this card. One additional card is available at no extra cost, so couples will be able to have two cards without incurring a higher annual fee. Since the cost can be as high as $75 with some banks, there is a lot of savings on that fact alone. This card also has a high earn rate for local travel and entertainment purchases/expenses. The millennial lifestyle is perfectly suited to the perks of this card.
- First additional card is free
- No foreign transaction fees; not charged a Foreign Currency Conversion mark-up
- Up to 6 airport lounge experiences per year
- Discounted car rentals with Avis Rent A Car
- Very comprehensive insurance coverage
- 2nd additional card and more cost an extra $50 per year
- Fairly slow earn rate
- Requires minimum income for eligibility of $60,000 annual personal income, $100,000 annual household income, or minimum assets under management of $250,000
- Annual fee is at the higher end of the price range